Thursday, May 6, 2010

#049 Outkast - Aquemini

Whew. Lost some time on that trip to Seattle, lets see if I can catch up with all the cleaning I have to do. I liked Stankonia a lot, heard this one was good too.

This is something of an incomplete impression, as I listened to this in planes and airports, but initially I dig it. It seems a little less concerned with being great than Stankonia, and it avoids that album's excesses in storytelling and commentary. The production's a little less varied and lacks some of Stankonia's fury, but a couple of fuzzed out standouts still got my attention. I dig these guys, intelligent and largely non-violent, but unlike so many 'positive hip hop' guys they retain their excitement and their edge. Some skippable duds (the unbearable Mamacita) but solid and will get reheard 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment