Thursday, May 6, 2010

#050 Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

Never actually heard this one, lets continue to polish off the west coast gansta classics.

I really liked this more than I expected to. The groove is laid back party, fat and slow and skqonky as I was expecting after The Chronic, and the subject matter is simple and almost peaceful. And then of course its a couple tracks about shooting people and going to jail and shooting more people. Which is fine I guess, but it doesn't turn me on, and it seemed out of place, acting as a weird, seemingly contractually obligated diversion before returning to the simple joys of smoking and drinking and knowing you're a badass.

And like so many rap albums, its too long; it really should have ended with Doggy Dog World, though the live sound of Gz and Hustlas was a welcome change of pace, it could have been resequenced elsewhere, and Pump Pump completely broke the album's flow. Its absolutely the wrong note to end on. The album also follows the trope of between-track interludes, though they're funnier than usual here, and actually build up an atmosphere rather than distracting. The whole thing evokes summer LA in a way I can't put my finger on -that atmosphere might make this album really brilliant. I'll let you know what I think later 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment