Sunday, May 9, 2010

#059 Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (2010)

I really liked a few tracks on the first (also self titled. lulz) Crystal Castles album, and Pitchy liked this one, so, sure.

Despite liking those few tracks, I don't think I ever finished their previous album (which is a shame because I recently found a few good tracks tucked back there). Too-minimalist beats and outright unlistenable screeching show up often enough to make that album something of a chore.

Here though, things are a lot prettier, really immersive, really well done. Before songs lumped around like a pile of electric tentacles, now they're all attached to a pulsing neon Cthulu head, a pretty, synthy core pulling the whole thing together. I had a couple of really nice, trancy, lost-in-synth-texture space-outs on this first listen, seems really promising.. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment