Thursday, May 13, 2010

#066 Ice Cube - The Predator

Liked the last one pretty good, lets check out his other well-regarded one.

I continue to be surprised how much I like this guy, and this album actually breaks with some of the gangsta tropes I've been getting tired of. For one, I actually feel like this is a pretty personal album. While It Was a Good Day overblows the situation a bit, for a most part, it comes across more as journal than violent fantasy. Anger with the police and the media come through as sincere, and when it does come to cop killer narratives, they're clearly skits rather than boasts of supposed actual exploits. In a genre where you're usually forced to accept an overblown mythology, its a refreshing change of tone. There's even some prefuse-esque instrumental media sample chop ups. That said, the production, while not bad, isn't quite exciting enough to really rev my engine. Still, next on my list of older rap albums to revisit 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment