Friday, May 28, 2010

#081 Gang of Four - Solid Gold

One of my themes lately has been looking at albums I've not heard by bands I've otherwise liked. This is their 2nd album, after the excellent Entertainment.

Well, this is basically Entertainment with some of the sharp edges sanded down. The guys are still disgusted with the world, still using jagged guitars, punch bass and angular melodies to get their point across. But this one just doesn't live up to the last one, the riffs aren't as harsh and exciting, the sentiment dulled by repetition. I mean, it's decent; if the previous album didn't exist this would be good, and it gets points for that. But the previous album does exist. Listen to Entertainment instead, that's what I'll do when I want my Gang of Four fix 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment