Monday, May 10, 2010

#061 LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening

New LCDSS!

I think I'm liable to like this one the best of his albums, as time goes on. There are two main shifts, the first is the new approach to production that puts a melodic synth line high in the mix, front and center of a lot of the songs. Where previously the music stayed rhythmic and in the background, here it often stars, dueling with Murphy for attention (not in a bad way necessarily). The second is that the album seems to more fully embrace the heavy, existential themes that really broke out in Sound of Silver tracks like Someone Great and the incomprable All my Friends. There's a nice combination of personal, spontaneous-sounding sentiment and anthemic, Mark E. Smith generational rousing. There are no obvious Daft Punk is Playing at My House or North American Scum mix-ready stompers, but it provides an overall more cohesive, subdued landscape (edit: ah, I suppose Drunk Girls fits this role, though its something of an outlier in its sound, even if its sentiment fits the album somehow). Its a lot to take in, but I think it will reward repeat listens.

Also, does this sound more like Brian Eno than his previous albums, with the weirder, frontier synths and bent pop structures? Or am I just seeing Brian Eno lately? 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment