Thursday, May 13, 2010

#067 Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

Ok, lets see where they went next. [Edit 5/15/10: Apparently this was their 3rd, after evil empire? Dang. That sort of throws things off]

Just to further complicate things, I liked this one a lot better than their first one. For one, the music's more varied, more dynamically produced, with more interesting distortion and production effects. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the vocals are lower in the mix, or are otherwise less obtrusive. While there's still roughly one cringe-worthy screed per song (not to mention a hyper-distorted guitar solo at every 2:40 mark), the lyrics actually develop a little depth, and the delivery is less whiny and more plausibly enraged. Overall, an album that emphasized the parts I liked, and improved both the strengths and the weaknesses of the previous album. I can't say I like this band, some of the same problems still nag, but I'd certainly listen to this one before the debut. Still good riffs too 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment