Friday, May 28, 2010

#080 Frank Zappa - Freak Out!

I've never heard his first one? Even though I really liked We're Only in it for the Money? Well then.

What a curious album. The first 7 or so tracks are actually really listenable folk/psych/pop/doowop songs with a small bend in them. Each is catchy, and largely in the spirit of the genre at hand, but just a bit off. Like a guy at a bus stop. Things don't get legitimately weird though until the closing 3rd: tracks 12 and 13 are actually pretty awesome psych-rock rave-ups, but then the wheels fall off into utter zappaness for the remainder. Actually, its a pretty cool progression, the flow works as the album ratchets up the intensity heading towards the finish line.

I'll give Zappa this, too, he made a sport of pointing out that music/culture/society was a plastic, ridiculous shell long before just about anyone else in music, certainly long before punk, post-punk, etc.

Its one of those albums I respected more than I enjoyed though - plenty of the songs were simply tweaks on styles I'm not that into, and that weren't quite tweaked enough to win me over. A good listen, but only now and then 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment