Friday, May 7, 2010

#057 The Stooges - The Stooges

Loved Raw Power, liked Funhouse, lets seal the deal on their oeuvre.

I get it now: White Light / White Heat -> The Stooges -> Raw Power. I'm tempted to be glib and leave it at that.

The desolation of this album is impressive, utter sleaze. Iggy would be filled with self-loathing if he wasn't so wracked with indifference. It lacks the gut punch of Raw Power, and its a lot less arty than the velvets' stuff (for better or for worse), and I generally don't find it as listenable, but there's something in its way-pre-grunge fatalism that I admire. Though I have to confess my tracks were mislabeled and I listened to the album out of order, starting with 1969 still, but ending with the sludgy meanderer We Will Fall, which by modern album structure sounded about right. I think I still got the gist, but that's a shame 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment