Thursday, December 30, 2010

#264 Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief

Have been reading the old Allmusic guide to rock, finding some albums that are well-regarded that I've never heard. This is noted as something of a folk rock classic, and members of the band kept finding their way into other bands' entries, so lets get caught up.

On paper, I might not like this. The lyrical content is a bit disconnected from the days of now, the singer's not my cup of tea, and the pacing is slow at times. But somehow it actually does come together for me, for two main reasons. One is that the playing is really exemplary: the is guitar work deft and nuanced, and the solos and jams are energetic and well-performed (Matty Groves in particular is a perfect folk rockinstomper). The other reason is the details in the production, with just enough reverb and atmosphere, sounding like it surely must have inspired acts like Slint, Talk Talk and earlier Smashing Pumpkins (Reynardine in particular is a dead ringer for Starla or Window Paine).

I don't know that I'll listen to this a lot more, but it was decidedly worth hearing once, and is excellent for what it is. It caught me at a good moment, and I was struck upon hearing it, earning it a short-term but deserved 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment