Saturday, December 4, 2010

#244 The Fugees - The Score

Dave was shocked I hadn't heard this, so I did. I was wary of this. I didn't like Killing Me Softly at all, and my impression of these guys was that they would be too positive for me.

In practice, its better than I expected. I still don't like the singles, but Lauren Hills is better rapper than I realized; the rapping is tighter than I expected across the board, and the jazzy elements are more subdued than I feared. I think this represents the far end of positivity/jazziness that I am able to tolerate in rap, it toes the line and just barely stops short, putting up a novel kind of groove without totally going soft. I feel like on another day I might not like this, but maybe it got lucky. First impression? 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment