Monday, December 6, 2010

#248 Sebedoh - III

Its kind of insane, in retrospect, that I've never heard this. Also on a list of good indie rock.

This is more like it, with a great combination of aggressive punk, the occasional weird experiment, and lots of hooky constructions, sounding not unlike fellow indie flagbearers Pavement. Except I think I actually (blasphemy alert) like this better than Slanted and Enchanted. At least at first listen; I found Pavement a bit inaccessible, and still don't like them as much as everyone else seems to. I don't think hard-line indie rock is actually something that really resonates with me quite right, something about the razor thin sheet metal chords and half-tuneless singing.

Anyway, we'll see how this holds up, but I found this to really nail the combination of ferocity, hookiness, artiness and fun, even if its in a style I don't quite get 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment