Monday, December 6, 2010

#249 Wilco - Summerteeth

Further catching up on the holes in my older indie rock experience.

I was wary of this, having found Yankee Hotel Foxtrot good, but a bit overlong and overblown. This, by comparison, is much more ramshackle, much faster paced, much more immediate, and just maybe better. My theme today is blaspheming against sacred indie cows. Tune in later when I take a huge shit on In the Aeroplane over the Sea.

I really find this to have much better energy though, benefiting from less ego, less perfectionism, and a generally tighter sense of pacing. Plus I love all the grungy synths and mellotrons. Man, I like me some mellotron. Somewhere in the middle of this indie kick I longed for some older pumpkins b-sides, and that mellotron totally nails what I was secretly longing for, that frail, gasping surge of epic meaning, that doomed grasp at greatness.

YHF is still there when I need to feel blighted and epic and empty and generally evoke the bleak expanses of just-post-9-11 American malaise. But as far as actual listenable twangy Tweedy? Its a real nice one 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment