Saturday, December 18, 2010

#253 VA - No New York

This is something of a touchstone I hear.

I also hear its pretty unlistenable, and it is, sounding like early Gang of Four if they wanted to be more annoying and even less tuneful. The four "no wave" bands Brian Eno put on display here aren't talentless, but rather focus their talents on being almost as unlistenable as the Shaggs. Its all shouting, sheetmetal guitars, swerving pacing, layers of noise; the result is wholly unpleasant, confronationally, aggressively dissonant stuff - I kind of admire it, and I'm a little fascinated by it, but i need to find some time when I don't mind getting a migraine to listen to it again. I hated the Shaggs album, but admired it. I hated this album, but admired the guys making it, which is probably a step up. In any case, this also probably falls into that 'glad I heard it so I can never hear it again' category, though at least I'm tempted to work up the nerve 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment