Saturday, December 18, 2010

#255 James Blake - The Bells Sketch

Dangit, I tried to listen to these chronologically, but misread the dates. Well, I guess this was the first? Anyway, heard second.

It makes sense in retrospect, the technique seems less refined here. The opener just doesn't work for me, is too weird and graceless in its voice stirring. Buzzard and Kestrel, once again, track 2, is the real highlight here though, bending the voices into usable chunks and beyond recognition, mixing them with light, evershifting whisps of strings, electronic melody and beyond sounds. Its strangely moving, actually. The big swoop ins of Give a Man a Rod are exciting, but a bit unlistenable.

I don't think I actually like this guy's core sound. His approach to vocal manipulation isn't quite what I'm looking for, and he's experimental without being quite listenable a bit too often. But at least once per EP (including his 3rd one, up next), he does something I really like. Someone to keep an eye on. It reminds me a bit of Unstoppable era Girl Talk, not quite at the point of using his tools for good, but showing off an impressive set of skills that exude potential and hope 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment