Wednesday, January 5, 2011

#265 X - Los Angeles

Man! I have been busy and distracted. Have a long backlog of albums from early this month (these next 7 or so are dated around the 5th, since that when I put the entry stubs up, but the actual review-writing dates will be noted for full-data's-sake - in this case, January 15th).

This was one of those well-regarded punk albums that I'd never heard, gotta catch em all.

I don't love this for a number of reasons. The main one is that I just can't get behind the female vocalist, who just sounds annoying. Almost as important, the overall sound isn't quite melodic enough, nor quite rough-edged enough, lying in some dissonant, churning middle ground as a punk goes. Some of the bass parts are nice, and the overall tone of the album jells as it goes on, and I kind of like the exploding hearts-esque ugly retro thing they glance off, but those are silver linings on a lumbering cloud 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment