Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#275 Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind

Another AMG pickup. Trollin for the classics!

Apparently this album got Mr. Parker labeled an "angry young man". Man, people's threshold for anger was a lot lower back then, this sounds like Barry Manilow, or Randy Newman, or Queen's You're My Best Friend. It's all kind of smooth and well-produced, and only angry relative to, say, Randy Newman. If Randy Newman wrote these songs, I might go, man, Randy sounds angry.

But I come at this having listened to genres that weren't even invented at the time, decades of thrash metal, punk rock, noise rock, rap, and a dozen varieties of pan-genre instrumental menace. This shit is weak as hell. I know that this predates punk and new wave and all that, but my listening experience does not, and this time I couldn't unlearn what I've heard. Without being able to buy into the attitude, musically there wasn't anything I really cared to listen to here. There's some history to it, so it was useful in that regard, but as far as actual first-listen enjoyment? Honestly? 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment