Sunday, January 23, 2011

#279 The Small Faces - There Are but Four Small Faces

AMG is totally paying dividends. Lots of good stuff coming out of there. I hear these guys and The Zombies are two of the biggest British 60's bands to never make it in the US, and heck, I like The Zombies.

This is a really good album. Its got the easy hookiness of Something Else/Arthur/Village Green-era Kinks, the psychedelic veneer of the Zombies, and the garagey crunch of The Creation and a hundred Nuggets bands. That's a potent cocktail.

There's also something immediate and unpredictable about it, with the song structures taking unexpected turns, the vocals cracking and overloading in places you wouldn't expect, and with a hint of Zappa-esque bent-retro madness in the edges. I'm Only Dreaming and I Feel Much Better, in particular, illustrate these patterns brilliantly, and are two of my favorite new songs I've heard in a long time. The transition at 2:45 of the latter is stunning (1967!). There's a lot going on here, and I need more time with this album, but I am willing to call this album criminally underrated. That someone as musically voracious as myself took this long to come across this album is goddamn insane, and makes me aimlessly annoyed at myself and the world, both. This album is good as hell 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment