Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#274 Mott the Hoople - Brain Capers

Another AMG find - liked their previous one pretty good.

Here they move from sounding like Bowie to sounding a bit like everyone in the 70's. Sometimes its a good thing: there's some Zeppelin crunch, some Dylan drawl, and some (in fact, a lot) of Stonsey swagger. Sometimes its a bad thing, as it all gets a bit overblown and sounds like Kiss or Meat Loaf, boasting more bombast than it's actually earned. Centerpiece Journey is probably the best example, sounding really awesome, and really cheesy, alternately, several times throughout the song - though I think its 9 minute running time eventually earns the swagger it was mortgaging and it comes out ahead.

I'll have to see on this - if I get get over the stigma of this kind of overkill (as I did for, say, Rush and Boston) I could see this being a winner. But it also might just end up annoying me. Will revisit 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment