Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#276 The Band - Music from Big Pink

Another well-known classic that I've never sat down and listened to before.

I can see this one being a grower. At first blush, it comes across as a bit meandering, and the vocals, strained as they are, get a little old after a while. In general, it kind of mushes together, and I found myself having a hard time focusing on it. It's vaguely Dylanesque (he wrote/co-wrote 3 songs), with organ twitters arising, a shuffle-stomp rock beat, and a pervasive lack of hurry permeating the crannies. But I could see a weary, dusty comfort arising from it as I spent more and more time with it over the years. Will it find its way into the headphones over said years? Hard to say. I'm going to hedge for now - at first listen its a bit boring, but not without something special somehow 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment