Monday, July 26, 2010

#133 VA - Funky 45 Party (Small Potato Records)

I've had a lot of full-attention-requiring work lately, which kills my new music output, but catching up a bit. This was off Calamarfarci, a blog with a handful of obscure downloadable compilations and mixes, check it out here.

Most of my recent funk listening focused on big artists with big ambitions, weaving grooves around spaceships and politics and psychadelia. This is simpler stuff, short, tight, funky tracks with more in common with the meters than parliament, the kind of stuff you expect tarantino to be dragging out of a crate and onto an action sequence. Its all skittered beats, busy bass, horn hits and simple sentiments, delivered with style. Everything you need and nothing more.

I put some of this on with a handful of other tracks on random at a gathering a couple nights back (separate from my "offical" full listen) and it did good things to the mood for sure. I dig, I think is the appropriate parlance 4/5

1 comment:

  1. hello, where we can buy online cd's from Small Potato Records ... i buy last sunday on the market 3 cd's but one is defectious .. i 'm back ( in france ) and i would like this cd
    >>> Hip Hop Part ll - The funky Ressurrection

    ReplyDelete