Thursday, July 15, 2010

#127 Memory Tapes - Seek Magic

Another pickup from David. I got a lot of stuff from him that I'm working my way through.

The obvious reference point here is cut copy: this album emulates their combination of 4/4 electronic beats and soaring, half-fragile sentiments. The occasional disco influence creeps in, some nice background strummed guitarts, and some hyperdense m83 soundscapes, but I'm not enough of a connoisseur of the style to really judge this in terms of the music. The key is that it works pretty darn well emotionally. Its well-paced, interesting without being daunting, and hits the right notes at the right times; the mastery of emotional tone makes it remind me of LCD soundsystem, even though the music sounds only ever so slightly DFA-ey.

I think this might be a grower, and I think it will get plays, but despite all that praise, my impression of it right now puts it at 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment