Sunday, July 18, 2010

#132 White Denim - Fits

Got this from David because I recognized their name from a song (Sitting) I got off obscuresound, which I then put on a mix for Robin. [Edit, or did I? I think it was in the running, and got cut.]

Wow, that song did not prepare me for what I found here. The first half is some fast, expertly-played, noisy, angular garage rock, like someone playing 3 different Gang of Four songs blended together at double speed. Its actually really exciting, like a thrashier Single Frame (also from Texas) or a more melodic Giddy Motors. The second half mellows out considerably, turning into a soul-tinged series of surreal lurchers with great bass lines. Syncn is an excellent, moody closer that reminded me a bit of radiohead before its manic climax. Totally what I needed; this was strikingly, exactly what I wanted to listen to at the moment I heard it. Accordingly 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment