Sunday, July 18, 2010

#129 Nas - Stillmatic

Another rap sequel. I never got into Illmatic, but I first heard it a long time ago, and need to revisit it. There's not much consensus on this one, but there are certainly fans out there.

If Lil Wayne's rapping is saying "yep", Nas's is saying "tat". Its all clipped cadence, the emphasis is all attack and release, no sustain what so ever. Its powerful stuff, and on highlights like One Mic, Ether, and the surreal Rewind, the rapping's as staccato as it comes. There's some clever turns here and there, but across the board, there's some real stupid shit too. Smokin, My Country, and Rule (with its unbearable "everybody wants to rule the world" hook) are all instant skips on the occasion I ever listen to this again. But I don't see that happening, as an album, its a one and done for me 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment