Sunday, July 18, 2010

#130 The Love Language - The Love Language

There's a roundabout path here. I read about their new album on dusted, could only find their first album, which it turns out I'd previously heard (and liked) a song from via obscuresound.

Someone compared these guys to the arcade fire, and I can see that. There's something epic and acoustic and swelling and piano-drenched about this that reminds me of them. Night Dogs even sort of steals the main melodic line from the end of Rebellion (Lies) and combines it with the main melodic line from Friday I'm in Love. This seems like a stretch, but if you hear all 3 songs you'll see what I mean.

That said, I rather like this. Its got a simplicity to it, with a real sense of emotion, melody and pacing that evokes The Magnetic Fields and Belle and Sebastian. But here its married to this fuzzy, overblown home-recorded lo-fi tape hiss aesthetic that I totally fell for. It ends up sounding timeless and huge in inexplicable ways. I could see this growing into a favorite 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment