Wednesday, July 14, 2010

#122 NOFX - Punk in Drublic

Another David pickup. I know a lot of people who like this album, so lets see.

Well, its basically pre-blink-182 pop punk, which isn't as much of a slam as it might sound like. Its catchy, fast, with some shreddy guitar work here and there, and some nice metal flourishes. But its also just obnoxious at times, especially with dopey joke tracks like My Heart if Yearning and The Brews.

The word "bratty" is key here. I don't know enough about the post-early pre-new punk era to know when exactly the shift happens, but at some point punk bands stopped being punks and started being brats. They went from angry to whiny, from downtrodden and desperate to rich and bored, from youts to young adults. The subject matter went from what's wrong with the world to what's wrong in my life. Again, I don't necessarily, wholly disapprove of the move completely, on principle, but it does represent a shift-away, and this is one of the first instances I know of where it happens*.

Anyway, I'm doing it again. I think I've already made my point here. Its fun stuff, but I don't think I can get past the attitude. I guess this is growing up 2.5/5

*though there's at least hints of commentary here in tracks like Don't Call me White and Perfect Government

No comments:

Post a Comment