Thursday, October 21, 2010

#210 The Glitch Mob - Drink the Sea

I think Ivan recommended this to me the other night, and then I came across it on the same search for listenable glitch that lead me to the last one.

This isn't actually all that glitch (though I hear their earlier stuff was), what it is is a Ratatat / Justice esque exercise in texture and riffage. For the most part it works. There's just enough funky twists, interesting crannies, and propulsive energy to make the whole thing enjoyable in small doses, especially on late game standouts like We Swarm (great surprising synth break-in), and (cringworthily named, but pleasantly meditative) Starve the Ego, Feed the Soul. As an album, it drags a bit, and some of the live drums and clean bass moments sound kind of cheesy. Its much better when it embraces its buzzy future sound wholeheartedly.

I think it would be better if the whole thing was about 10 BPM faster, and a little less concerned with being epic, and a little more concerned with rocking asses. Still, 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment