Tuesday, October 19, 2010

#206 Mystikal - Let's Get Ready

Fighting back from the deficit! Staying on pace thanks to a long day of diagram-making. This guy was a rec from Kyle, if I'm not mistaken.

Want the gist? This guy sounds like a super angry Busta Rhymes. He is shouting constantly, and its kind of exhausting. This guy is super angry all the time, and rather than coolly boasting that he's going to shoot you, he is getting in your face and getting ready to kick your ass with his bare hands right now. So, yes, exhausting. You know, like someone shouting at you for an hour.

That said, there's some good stuff here. When I could actually understand the words, there were some legitimate gems ("you're like ten yards the way you're always first down" he taunts). And while I'm not a rap chorus guy, the hook on You Would if You Could is the cat's ass. That's a strong song. Towards the end, rather than petering out, the album branches out, trying on some less-aggressive angles. If nothing else the standard weed song provides a nice contrast in style, and the Outkast-featuring closer (not counting a couple bonus tracks) has a pretty damn smooth groove, even if the guest spots themselves sound like something of an afterthought.

I'll grant it this, its something new. Its not a style I've heard in hip hop before, and if the last two reviews didn't tip you off, I do like getting a new twist on an old theme. Despite the fact I don't see myself wanting to get shouted at like this often, the finer points earn it a 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment