Monday, October 18, 2010

#199 Wally Badarou - Echoes

Another Miles rec from the night of many recs.

That was a fruitful night for albums that I ended up enjoying (or at least being glad that I'd heard), but this isn't a winner for me. It's some early synthesizer stuff, with some African or otherwise "world" rhythms mixed in, and I just don't know what I'm supposed to get out of it. It doesn't move me, doesn't make my heart beat faster, doesn't have any particular sense of attitude, of place, no particular soul that I can relate to. I think part of the problem is that it evokes 80's flirtations with synthesizers and African rhythms, most of which sucked so severely that I don't know if I can ever really truly be openminded about such things.

My suspicion is that this is kind of a muso album, for people who can appreciate its construction, and who can appreciate how technically impressive some of the synthesizer approaches on display here are. And I get the barest glimpse of that; there's some subtle tuning of the instrument, some efficient pitch bends, the occasional stroke of mathy perfection. But mostly it just sounds like In Your Eyes to me. It gets a bit of credit for some emotional resonance in Canyons and Rain, but it's largely a miss 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment