Monday, October 18, 2010

#203 Truckasaurus - Tea Parties, Guns and Valor

I randomly had this on my mp3 player, I think I got it a while back and never hit it. Lets see what it does.

"Video game music" is the first descriptor that comes to mind, but that comes with a bunch of cousin indicators that are vaguely related: glitchy beats, Nintendo references, an obsession with 80's culture (check the cover of the airwolf theme), and a formidably sense of irony. Its actually really entertaining in its technicolor, spazzy, buzzy kind of way.

Through the first 10 actual album tracks, its a pretty great album, even if I wished that the hip hop undertones came to the surface more often. Its complex and high-energy - and while its all game-boy-sequenced, these guys' willingness to use more advanced synthesizers helps keep it unpredictable. The dark side is the seemingly endless set of remixes that close the album. Some are decent, but listening to the album proper, followed by the remixes, is numbing. I'm going to take the liberty of rating the core 10 tracks as an experience, since that's how I'll listen to this in the future. By that standard, this gets my October-signature 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment