Monday, October 18, 2010

#201 The Dead C - The White House

Once again, Dusted reviewed their new one, and said that it wasn't as good as their older ones. Ok, well lets start with the earlier, allegedly better, ones then. Plus, I've had a good track record with New Zealand bands.

This is noise rock, without a lot of the rock. The first fivetracks are muddy, tinny soundscapes that don't sound especially well-planned, and that don't have much of a sense of space, narrative, or emotion. Look, I like noisy stuff. I don't mind vocals and guitars warped to hell and back, but it needs to do something with all that noise, and most of this just sounds like lazy noodling to me. I kind of like the delay-time-dragging warble of Bitcher, but its a trick that doesn't justify the song's seven minutes.

Really, the draw here is the last track, which is a really great Pavement-from-hell shoegazey space to get lost in for seventeen minutes. I think I'll check out some of the rest of their (expansive!) discography, they sound experimental enough to be worth a second chance, but as far as this album? I don't like most of it much, but the last song singlehandedly knocks this up a point and a half or so to 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment