Monday, October 18, 2010

#198 There Thaemlitz - Soil

Back to a Miles rec from the night of many recs.

This is ambient, experiemental stuff, with some little samples mixed in here and there, ringing in from across the void, sounding like Music for Airports meets The Books. My instinct is to call it minimal, and it kind of is on the surface, but its also very detailed, with seemingly infinite little nooks to find when you listen closely. Everything is expertly mixed so that your focus shifts subtly from part to part beyond your conscious control (especially on Elevatorium), and the sounds are well-crafted and textured, fractally crannied.

Most of the samples aren't actually used all that Books-ly; I felt like they were repeated not to achieve rhythm or evoke place, but to allow imposition into your subconscious. It actually reminds me of The Books (especially Thought for Food) because of the way that it seeks to engage you emotionally in roundabout ways. Its a very psychological album, worming its way around in ways your brain doesn't understand, often to disturbing effect: see the heartbeat-skipping bass punches of Yer Ass is Grass, the menacing pulse of words through walls that thump through Trucker, and the outright narrative violence of Cycles.

Its an album I respected and liked more than I enjoyed; its a pretty harrowing trek through 6, long, often subtly troubling tracks. But it does fascinate me at least a bit. Despite my recent run of fours, I think I land once again at 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment