Thursday, October 14, 2010

#193 XTC - English Settlement

Man! Travel and an exploding computer hurt my progress good. I got 6 new ones that I've heard that need writing up, coming nowish, so brace yerselves. This one's Miles rec from the night of many recs. I had heard Skylarking before and liked it, but this one was new on me.

Its an intriguing one. In tone, it lands somewhere between Gang of Four and parklife-era Blur in the space of slightly off-kilter "modern life is rubbish" Brittish rock. Its not quite as angry as Gang of Four, not quite as snarky as Blur, lobbing a languid sneer that splits the difference. Musicwise, its pretty complex stuff for how poppy it is, combining repetetive stomp with intricate guitar noodles and structural swerves. Mix those last two bands, with a dash of the Kinks, and a touch of older Genesis (though maybe that's just the synth line on Ball and Chain talking).

The whole thing is a bit overlong, and some of the songs seem to think they're a lot smarter than they are; Melt the Guns as Miles pointed out, is really the best example, a go-nowhere sub-GoF ranting, limp raveup.

Its an interesting album though, abrassive but listenable, catchy but angular. I'm sure I'll put it on now and again, though it didn't blow me away enough for more than 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment