Monday, April 26, 2010

#045 Mexican Institue of Sound - Pinata

Went clicking around allmusic for artists similar to avalanches, jason forrest, prefuse 73 - I need more high energy experimental madness. Came across this guy.

I'm a bit torn. Some of this sounds kind of trashy, like the same electronica tropes with "mexican flair" added. I don't think its very cool. But Girl Talk taught me not to be an asshole.

Is it any good? Some of it is sincerely kind of boring except as a novelty, but the energy of the first 3 tracks is undeniable, and some of the later songs are legitimately experimental in ways that turn me on, the swerves, of Katia, Tania, Paulina y La Kim, the legitimately squonky dirty synths of Mi Negra A Bailal and La Kebradita. The "mexican flair" is a nice change of pace, with blaring horns standing in where beats and riffs might otherwise be, but I suspect the appeal will wear off quickly. It started to even during this first listen. The album probably requires some cherrypicking, but there are some pretty rad tracks here that I'll keep in mind 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment