Tuesday, April 20, 2010

#035 The Mint Chicks - Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No!

I really liked Screens, out of nowhere, thought I should check out their extensive discography.

Man, some weaknesses in this experiment - I listened to the 1st 3 tracks, didn't love them, came back after a couple days to hear the rest and loved them, and then replayed it. So this is tainted.

The album starts off as sort of a blunt, punk, noise thing, really throwing you off, but then it turns into a really great, spazzy, noisy catchy band for the rest of the record. Great hooks, really pretty production, interesting left turns, but with a listenable structure and flow. Really a curiously brilliant band, eventually sounding more like Enon, or a listenable Ween, or a future-60's band (as I've described them on Screens) than the pummeling sludge act they start as. Really like it, probably would have been a 4.5 even without the confounding issues in my listening experience 4.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment