Friday, April 2, 2010

#019 Dr. Dre - The Chronic

The Snoop album got me back on my mission to hit the purported rap classics. I tried to do this for the first time years ago, but I don't think I had the perspective, couldn't get into it at all - maybe some time, hearing some more rap, and reading a bit about the context of this album have gotten me ready.

So, usually I like more overt melody and energy from my rap production, but this album does have a swagger, a groove; loping bass lines and drunken flutes. I heard that the style's marked by slow grooves, gfunk samples (reproduced live), and Snoop's languid drawl. Ok, knowing that, ok, I can see it, I dig. The misogyny and posturing still annoy me, but when I focus on the bass lines and let the rhymes serve as rhythm, I liked it more than I expected to.

Some of the actual rapping is just lazy though, some of the rhymes already tired by then, some verses just talking about killing guy after guy after guy, this way and that way. Ok, ok, you're hard, fine, jesus, you convinced me 9 verses ago. One last gripe, why are rap albums so goddamn long? They almost always reek of filler.

I've learned rap is good doing the dishes music. I can't just listen to it, but I need to be doing something mindless enough that I can pay attention to the lyrics. Therefore, as I assume was the intention of Dre, Snoop, etc, I mostly listen to rap while I wash dishes and knit. This'll join the rotation. Whitest rap review ever? Man, I am what I am. - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment