Tuesday, November 30, 2010

#240 Girls - Broken Dreams Club EP

Have been keeping these short, and I haven't been getting to as many albums, cause man I am getting crushed by finishing this dissertation. This one was from all the usual sources, these guys certainly qualify as darlings by now.

What an unexpected album, sincerely leaping into a variety of young love pop genres from the last 60 years, sounding a bit like Tom Petty or Elvis Costello (or a toned-down Exploding Hearts) in their general simpler-times retroism, but they actually manage to put their own stamp on the sound. The album evokes styles without aping them, and puts all the parts together to make a pretty nice mood piece on nostalgic love from times that never were. Its moving in a curious, roundabout way, and compelling in its old/new/other swirl. I'm not even sure I liked it, but I'm compelled. Carolina in particular is a masterpiece, overtly evoking beach boys era wistfulness, all sandwiched a in Pumpkinsey shimmering intro and a stompy climax. I'm tempted to go silver, but I think I'm just enthralled, lets keep it to a more accurate 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment