Friday, November 5, 2010

#221 Jel - Greenball

I got this a while ago as part of the instrumental hip hop kick and couldn't really get into it. Tried it again in the car recently, no go. Then put it on while I was doing dissertation diagrams today and it bored me at first, but then it clicked.

Its a repetitive thing, really milking each loop for a song's length without introducing a lot of movement. It just has a lot less initiative and propulsiveness and flow compared to, say, eternal benchmark Endtroducing. But if you can get past the slow start and let your body synchronize with what the album is doing, it's strangely compelling, really locking into your rhythms. It's patient. Maybe it just caught me at a good hippie ass moment, but I was into this stuff as it played on. It overstayed its welcome a bit, and I can't help but penalize its slow start a bit, and I'm wondering whether I'm just being swayed by good beer, but it was just about right for the right now. I'll give it a hopeful long-term keep-an-eye-onya and a generous, if provisional 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment