Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#223 Maserati - Inventions

Read dusted for the first time in a while, which lead to picking up a bunch of backgroundey ambeint kind of stuff that I was in the mood for, and that seemed like it would make decent work music.

This one is fine, I guess. Repetitive, semi-propulsive, vaguely-krautey post-rock. Its instrumental, with lots of looping guitar parts and bass, sounding like a rock band making vaguely low-key electronic music.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but this just didn't pop for me. Its pacing wasn't in synch with what I wanted at the right times, it seemed to be building to reveals that weren't worth the build, and the builds themselves weren't interesting enough to be justified. I just am not a connoisseur of this kind of stuff, and when my interest in it next rears its head, there are a dozen albums I'll turn to before this one. It seems like it should be exciting; I like the guitar sound, and the band's careful blend of rocking out and minimalism, but it just never stirred my passion beyond 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment