Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#224 Barn Owl - Ancestral Star

Part of the aforementioned ambientesque kick.

I listened to this right after the Maserati album, and I don't think that was wholly fair to this album. By then, I was a bit desensitized, and I sense that this album deserves to get a legitimate arc to itself. On some level its nothing I haven't heard before, vaguely doom-metalic in its pacing, instrumental growers and growlers, sounding like a crippled version of Explosions in the Sky. Where that band climaxes and crescendos every ten minutes, this album's movements are more subtle, lending themselves more to the creeping apocalypse we're all living through than the fiery, mythical apocalypse EitS sometimes evokes. See what this album did to me?

Even compensating for the post-Maserati post-rock-doubleup penalty, I don't have a lot of use for this. Its built mostly on emotion and space, and in this case, both are to bleak for me to want to summon them often 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment