Saturday, November 27, 2010

#235 Jatoma - Jatoma

I think this is a leftover vestige of the minimal technoey kinda dusted kick I went on a while back.

I have a terrible time trying to review electronic music, I just don't quite know how to tune into what its trying to do. I've come to believe that part of the appeal of rock music is, on some subconscious level, feeling like you're in the band, feeling the excitement you imagine would be felt playing that music. Which is why background matters, why attitude matters, while subtle details that aren't quite the actual music matters, even though it shouldn't. That gets short circuited in electronic music, where there is no band, and I can only guess at the process.

This album is fairly standard, loop based, texture driven stuff, just complex enough to be interesting, just organic and wobbly enough to not sound like all the rest. Its generally well-paced, balancing its hypnotic qualities with a bit of narrative, and its generally effective at evoking space, though it doesn't strike me as overly adventurous. Its pretty good working music, I'll probably return to it if I manage to differentiate the half dozen albums I've heard in the last year that fit this same basic description 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment