Monday, June 28, 2010

#108 Digital Underground - Sex Packets

This is, debatably, another hip hop classic.

When I noticed that these were the guys who did The Humpty Dance, my sceptisism deepened, and never really lifted. A little research reveals these guys are really, really into Parliament/Funkadelic (going so far as to name their 2nd album Sons of the P) and I'm glad I knew that at least. Seen from that perspective, this often comes across as a fun, funky album, instead of just a silly, gimmicky one. But it never really reaches escape velocity, it ends up a fun, funky, silly, gimmicky album, which isn't something I really have that much use for. The rap's not that interesting, the production's not that interesting, and I don't really have the kind of parties where I'd want to put this on. The only exception is near the end, where something about Packet Man's absurd logic and broken guitar line is sort of amazing 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment