Wednesday, June 9, 2010

#095 Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded

Starting to feel like I've only got a handful of true classic rap albums left to hit; word is this is one of them.

Here's another case where knowing the context ended up being important. As far as I can piece together, this '87 album predates Nation of Millions, Straight Outta Compton, and pretty much all of gansta as we know it. So I'll give if the benefit of the doubt when it gets all "I'll shoot you".

That said, as far as actually rating for enjoyment? Not quite there. The rhyming's largely too straightforward, too shouty-on-the-4, and not about much. Similarly the production is awfully spare, a simple beat and maybe one melodic sample, nothing that really forges a groove. There's a couple exceptions (The Bridge is Over, Poetry) but its also sometimes outright annoying (Dope Beat). Just not one that's aged well for me 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment