Wednesday, June 2, 2010

#089 The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death

I couldn't really appreciate Ready to Die when I heard it (still not wholly convinced), but I never tried this one.

For how long this is, at double album length, it goes down pretty smooth. Biggie's a heck of a rapper, and as I get more and more tired of nasal rap I appreciate this kind of bassey, heavy delivery ever more. Overall, its just varied enough to work - the Missing You/Another/Going Back to Cali section, in particular, helps keep the 2nd disc from dragging.

The subject matter, though, falls somewhere between the detached excess of Jay-Z and the murder boasts of the West coast, which you should know by now doesn't turn me on overmuch. And as groovy as it all is though, it comes across as overproduced. Its just not all that attention grabbing outside of the man's voice itself.

I don't know what to make of this one; I like the rapping, but it suffers from all the excess, overlength, boasting, shooting, and sketches that I'm tired of. I'll settle for a 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment