Wednesday, June 2, 2010

#090 Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane

More East Coast! More Edan namedrop victims!

So look, I'm not trying to say that I'm as good as Big Daddy Kane, but this album reminds me of my own approach more than any other I've heard. The changing structures, the bursts of close rhymes, the occasional awkward end of liner pair reprieves to get your bearings. The overall, match, match, doubleup, tripleup / buildup / dropout flow. A little research reveals that he got his start doing battles, so there you go.

Again, I'm not on this level by a long shot, not by a long shot, but it was inspiring to hear underlying stylistic similarities. Really good album. The rapping's not quite as blinding as the best moments of Organized Konfusion or Kool G Rap, but across the board, its impressive enough: precise, complex and fast when it needs to be. The production's a bit old school, a bit simple, which sometimes works, and sometimes bores me. Totally requires more listens though 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment