Wednesday, June 2, 2010

#088 Q-Tip - Amplified

I don't even know how I ended up on this one, I'm moving through rap albums so fast. Probably some list of East Coast albums.

Its surprising how spartan the production is on this, something I didn't expect given the Tribe background and the 1999 release date. With the exception of (the distinctly modern, overproduced, strangely out of place) Do It and (the utterly bizarre, possibly genius) End of Time, the beats are highly repetitive and spare. On one hand, it leaves a nice focus on the rhymes, which are decent if unspectacular, cleanly delivered, to be sure. But I want more these days, don't see much on offer here beyond that baffling, fascinating last track, End of Time. It drops some names I've heard and liked lately, and some I haven't. Rap rec's through rap. Anyway 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment