Tuesday, June 1, 2010

#084 Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick

Another Eat Coast guy, who Edan namedrops. That really was a very thorough song.

So I guess this guy's thing is that he's very narrative. That's true. The content and the rhyme style is all a bit too Fresh Prince Theme for my taste though, the singsongey end-of-line emphasis stuff just doesn't work for me.

It's worth mentioning an evolution in my consideration of rap. I've been very focused on rhyme structure, and that remains the number one consideration in my appreciation of rap. But Slick Rick, to his credit, has a smooth flow that I don't fail to appreciate. And the song structures are actually unpredictable - which is something I look for more in (indie/prog) rock than rap. The production's also compelling, with some twists on older-school styles; its scratch-heavy and with a 5-cent Casio junky buzz that I get off on.

That said, after all that, I still don't much enjoy the content, and the rhyme structure leaves me limp. So, due respect, but its not necessarily for me 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment