Friday, June 11, 2010

#097 Tokyo Police Club - Champ

I really liked their initial EP, but heard such lukewarm things about the debut LP that I have to admit that I've still never heard it. That will probably show up here soon.

In the meantime, I dig this one. It lacks some of the twangy, pick-bass fury of the EP, and the whole thing comes across as a bit teenage / twee, but that's not all bad. The important thing is the angular rhythms, abrupt changes and fuzzyed out electro-edged guitars are still here in force, sounding like the Strokes if they'd misplaced their detached disinterest. And even the dull moments have a buzz of finely textured noise underlying that's a huge bonus in my book. Standouts include the stunningly-Los Campesinos-ey Favourite Colour, and the sparse Unicorns-vs-Ratatat jam Gone. Hell yes. Four more songs like that, this'd be a five 4/5

Edit: 6:26:10 man, this one is growing on me, really,really liking it half drunkenly in NY right now. I underappreciated the broken synth charms of Bambi.

No comments:

Post a Comment