Tuesday, March 22, 2011

#336 Brian Eno - Discreet Music

One more shot, Eno!

Ah, see, this is more like it. This is untainted ambient. For being the grandaddy of ambient, this guy sure fucked with the formula a lot. I liked the first track on Music for Airports because it was the only one that didn't have anything annoying over top, no excess pianos, no vocal synth noises. Then there were his experiments with Robert Fripp which were really less than the sum of their parts, with Fripp's guitar squalls ruining most of the songs.

If you're going to "do ambient" and thereby get a pass on making long, slowmoving, minimal songs, don't call attention to yourself. Parts should come and go like spouses with different work schedules; gracefully, lightly, respectfully, in dull 6 am light. Don't wake me up.

The first, side-long track here succeeds in this regard, and is probably Eno's finest ambient work. It evolves glacially, wearing paths gently. If you don't have anywhere to be, and you want some ambiance, these 30 minutes will do ya.

About the 3 canon variations on the 2nd side, I'm not so sure. They're interesting, and I think if I was more classically trained, or if I was willing to give them a few more listens, there would be interesting details in the exercise. My rating is really for that first half, which is a really nice piece in a genre I often have a hard time appreciating 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment