Saturday, March 5, 2011

#315 The Cave Singers - No Witch

Dusted liked it, and the sample song piqued my interest.

I kind of like it. There's heart here, a touch of Songs: Ohia's deep folky twang, some Black Keys delta scorch, some Cage the Elephant half-false swagger, some Exile on Main Street gospelations, some Okkervil heartstutter stomp, all a bit reedy and wet and real. None of it strikes me as overly new, none of it is striking, none of the melodies struck me as major keepers, nothing changed my viewpoint, but its a satisfying amalgamation of a bunch of stuff I grudgingly-and-otherwise like. Its the kind of album that I want to recommend to people, without loving wholeheartedly myself. It's not exciting enough for me, but I respect its workmanlike exertions. I think that's probably a good solid 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment